Monday 4 March 2013

Tummy, Budget, and Taste Bud Pleaser

So to go along with last weeks post on food I thought I would give you two of my favourite recipes that are super easy to make, quick to make, super healthy/good for you, and also very easy on the pocket book!!! The first one is a green smoothie and I know some of the ingredients sound gross to put in or weird but trust me it is soooo amazing!!! I never would have dreamed in my wildest dreams that I would like it but I do, and it is one of my go to in a hurry snack's!! The second recipe is a vegan version of a meal a lot of people love, this was also a recipe that I was very unsure about how it was going to turn out but let me tell you I ate them 3 days in a row this week!!! Both recipes are definite tummy, taste bud, and budget pleasers :) Enjoy!


Creamy Tropical Smoothie



1 Cup of Pineapple (I buy a fresh one, cut it and then freeze it)
1/4 Avocado
1 Inch Piece of Ginger (peeled and cut into smaller pieces)
2 Handfuls of Spinach
1 Cup of Coconut Water

Combine all the ingredients  together in a blender and enjoy!! Seriously a must try! I never in a million and one years thought I would like avocado or ginger in a smoothie but it is one of the most enjoyable combinations ever!!! The avocado makes it creamy as if you have added dairy, and the ginger gives it this crazy tang that awakes your senses.


Chickpea Taco's with Homemade Guac!!!


For the Tacos:1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 red onion, minced
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 14-oz can, drained and rinsed)
1  taco seasoning packet or make your own 
(I make my own seasoning 1/2 tbsp of chilli powder, 1/2 tsp of paprika, 1 tsp of cumin, 1/4 oregano, 1/4 salt, 1/4 pepper, 1/4 cornstarch, 1/8 cayenne pepper, 1/4 cup water)
Either Gluten Free taco Shells or Corn Shells

For the Guac:
1 Avocado
Generous Handful of Cilantro Chopped
Juice of 1 Lime
1/4 Chopped Red Onion
1/4 Chopped Tomato
1/4 Chopped Red Pepper

1. First prepare the Guac by mashing the avocado and then mixing in the other ingredents. Store in fridge until Taco's are done.
2. In a medium size skillet over medium low heat combine olive oil, chickpea's, onion, and garlic. Stir frequently and let cook uncovered.
3. When the chickpea mixture has cooked for about 10 minutes add taco seasoning and let simmer for about 5 minutes on low.
4. Prepare taco shells or corn shells as per package.

5. Fill taco shells with chickpea mixture and then top with guac and enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment