Wednesday 17 April 2013

The Greatest Tool to Changing Your Life

While my world gets busier and crazier I am often reminded of how thankful I am for the quite moments and the moments of silence I get. Meditation has been a huge life saver in my life for many reasons and in many ways. To be completely honest with all of you, until I found meditation I do not think I was truly accepting and okay with myself. My meditation practice is what has got me through some of the biggest ups and down's in my life and it has continued to be the one thing that I know I can count on every day. Meditation for me is a must, it is something I would not, and could not live without. It has so many health benefits to it and it has helped so many people take control and change their lives around. Exploring the world of meditation for many can be intimidating and very scary; some do not know where to start, some do not know how they could do it, and some just do not even understand or really know about the concept. Because meditation has become such a big part of my life and has helped me in so many ways it has become my personal goal to help others understand and realize the potential of this amazing tool, and this is exactly what I am going to do by giving you; simple meditations, helpful hints, and reasons why it is so grand!

Meditation is an amazing tool that can help in so many areas, actually thousand's of area's, in your life. Meditation has the power to take your life and change it in to something that you never even believed it could become but only if you let it! Here are some areas and things that meditation can help you with in your life:

~Improved concentration: when you exercise your mind by meditation it activates your minds ability to concentrate on one thing at a time, this is a really good thing for everyone but is especially good for those with ADHD, ADD, those who feel like their mind is constantly on the go, and people who have constant mind chatter.
~lowers stress and anxiety levels! The slow breathing and concentration that meditation takes helps the brain to focus on something else and not magnify or focus on the things that cause stress or anxiety. Also meditation has been known to release serotonin and dopamine into the blood system, which we all know are feel good, blissed out hormones!
~Helps us to focus on the here and now instead of past and future. Do not get me wrong there are times where we need to think ahead or remember things from our past but most of the time this does not serve us any good. While you are meditating you are bringing your focus into the here and now and forgetting about all the small details that do not matter to you other than what is happening at that moment. When we practice meditation and experince the here and now through meditation we are more able to bring this thinking into our everyday lives, this is oh so good in too many ways!
~Lowers blood pressure, helps the muscles and body to relax deeper (which can aid in helping with insomnia), helps aid in weight loss, increases stamina and vigor (this is why athletes are told to meditate)!
~Helps to increase confidence and better sex!!!! Both of these are due to the fact that your hormones regulate with a mediation practice and also you are more prone to in the moment thinking and positive thinking :) And really who would turn down the possibility of better sex!
~Increased spirituality!!! Meditation helps us to connect more deeply and purely with our true and higher selves which helps us to connect more into our version (which ever that might be) of spirituality.

There are tons of benefits and area's in life that can be helped by meditation, these are just a few, to check out more visit http://www.artofliving.org/benefits-meditation

When starting out meditating there are many ways that you can go about it but I recommend taking it slow and using guided meditations. Lots of people rush in to meditation thinking that it will be easy and they will just be able to do it, but truth be told meditation actually takes lots of energy and focus so sometimes it is not so easy. When you start out you may not meditate for more than 5 minutes and that’s okay, or you might not be able to completely calm your mind and body and that’s okay too. It is called meditation practice for a reason, you practice, it is like any activity, the more you do it and the more your body/mind gets used to it the easier it comes to you. The point is just to do it without expectations and see what magical things happen fro you. I still to this day do not set time lines around my meditations I just meditate until my body and mind no longer want to, some day’s it is 10 minutes and others it is 30 or more. When you meditate and come more in tune with your body, you body will let you know exactly what it needs and how much. I also recommend using guided meditations when you first start out, this is not a must I mean after all I did not do this when I started out, but guided meditations when you first start out can make it easier for you to focus, less scary, and they usually help to relax your mind and body more (sometimes silence makes us anxious and can be scary fro some). Anything from Gabrielle Bernstein or Deepak Chopra are my favorites!!! Doreen Virtue also has some great meditations but they are much more spiritual so if you do not want to go down that road just yet I would not recommend them.

Most morning's I start my day out with a meditation, after I have showered to wake myself up that is, and this has been an amazing way to start my day out I have realized, I also meditate during the evening as well but both meditations are very different from one another, yet similar. My morning meditations are usually my longest ones as my body and mind are still relaxed and usually are not completely "turned on". In the morning I sit cross legged with my hands face up on my legs in my meditation area, light some incense, and turn on some meditative music; I then close my eyes and take a few deep breathes and bring focus internally and begin to thank my guides, angles, etc for the day that I have before me and all the love and good things I will experience, I also ask and pray for those in the world experiencing hurt/pain/sickness to have love and healing light directed towards them, I then ask my guides to let me hear any guidance that I may need for the day clearly in my meditation and throughout my day, after this I bring my focus to my breath and go completely within for however long is needed. I can usually tell from my body when my meditation is over because I will just feel the sudden need to open my eyes, stand up, or move in some huge way. By starting out my day with this meditation I have noticed my mood through out my day is over all better as I am focusing on positive things before it even starts! My evening meditation's are very much the same as the morning minus the insence, music, I also usually do these in silence and thank my guides for the day that I had and list 5 things minimum that I am grateful for that happened. My evening meditations are usually done after a workout, run, or yoga class so that I can thank my body fro doing the activity and I always end them the same, I bring my hands into prayer at heart centre then I bring them to my third eye and say "may you think love", then to my throat chakra "may you speak love", and then back to my heart chakra with "may you be love". I do other forms of meditation but these are the two most common as I do both pretty much every day. There are many forms of meditation and almost anything can be meditative. For me when I am running in nature this is highly meditative, also when I am dancing I find the same stillness in my mind as I do when I am sitting cross legged meditating. If you can find stillness in your mind (without falling asleep) and relax your body then you can make anything meditation, focusing on your breathing also helps a ton! There are many people that meditate while cooking, cleaning, creating art, playing music, drumming, walking and so much more!

Meditation is a tool that has been given to each and every one of us and we all have the potential to change our lives with it, after all it could be the greatest tool given to us to do so. Meditation can change you physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. I encourage each and every one of you too try out this tool that has been given to you and see exactly how life changing and magical it truly can be. If you have any questions or would like to learn more about meditation, as I have only touched on a small amount here, please feel free to contact me. I hope you all see the love and light within yourselves and within others. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment